After we ate our lunch the boys played baseball for a little while. The wind was a little chilly on that side of the park, so they stopped.
As Caleb and I were sitting on the park bench observing the kids playing, we noticed Brady had picked one particular little boy to play with. The boy was a little older than Brady and a little bigger. Brady was the follower of the friendship, chasing the kid and doing particular park activities when the kid suggested them.
As I casually watched while reading my Kindle, I noticed the boy Brady playing with climbing up the slide. This is a huge pet peeve of mine. The slide is made to slide down. It is dangerous for one kid to go up while one goes down. I have relentlessly taught Brady we do not climb up the slide.
One of my most vivid childhood memories is of my sister going down the slide at a fast food play place at a birthday party as another child climbed up the slide. One bloody mouth and nose later, I decided I, nor any children under my care, would be climbing up the slide. I was a little girl, but it made an impression on me.
Back to today...
The other child yells down to Brady, "hey climb up here." It took every ounce of my being to not jump up and scold Brady before he had even done it. I believe I actually said out loud to Caleb "oh he isn't allowed to do that". However, Brady looks at him and says ok, but walks around to the ladder. Caleb and I were so impressed. 1 point for Brady. I was so happy I didn't interfere. Lesson learned, sometimes you need to see how it plays out before you get involved.
Several rounds around the playground and the situation was replayed with the exact results. 2 points for Brady.
Then the other child decided maybe this kid physically can't climb up the slide, I should help him. We watched as the wheels turned inside his 4 year old or so brain. He grabbed Brady's hand and proceeded to try and pull Brady up the slide. Before the "ady" of Brady left Caleb's mouth, Brady was maneuvering his hand free from the grip of peer pressure and continued to run around to the ladder.
Homerun for Brady.
This was much bigger than him climbing up the slide or not.
I have had many proud moments during this parenting journey, as well as some embarrassed and not so proud moments. I am certain more of both will show up in the future. But for today, I am proud! I am proud that my tiny, baby boy is becoming a secure, confident, strong,well- behaved little boy. I am proud that he remembered what he was taught and to apply it even when it wasn't popular. I am proud, I let him. I am proud, I was able to witness him obeying without me constantly reminding him.
I hope I can remember this when he is 16 and hopping behind that wheel for the first time. I pray I can remember when he is picking up that girl for his first date. I hope I can remember when he moves his things our for college.
I want to be the type of mother who teaches by words and example, then trusts her children to follow her. I don't want to preach and smother, but with a toddler, it can feel like that is all I do.
I needed to witness this today. I needed a glimpse of the child we are raising. I needed a boost of confidence that maybe there is a chance he might turn out all right.
Brady amazes me every day. I am often in awe of things he does or says and have no idea when, how, or if I contibuted to his amazingness. He is truly a special little boy. I tend to blame myself for his faults, but not for his strengths.
At least today, I feel as though we are doing something right and I can sleep a little sounder. Whatever that "right" thing is, I pray it sticks around and this was only a preview of Brady's reaction to peer pressure.
Today was a good day!
No comments:
Post a Comment