This week Brady had a first. We have slowed down on firsts for Brady, so it is kind of exciting when we have one around here.
He had his first dentist appointment.
When I went for my cleaning in October, I had to bring Brady with me. My hygenist asked me how old Brady was and told me I could make him an appointment for when he turns three.
I did.
She also explained to me that they try to keep it very positive and kind of let the kid determine how the appointment goes. She also told me to keep any conversations about the dentist or teeth very positive.
I did.
I started about 3 or 4 days before the dentist. I just casually mentioned to Brady that next week he would be going the dentist now that he is a BIG 3 year old. I simply told him the dentist just wanted to count his teeth and get them really clean!
We went on about our normal business, occasionally and casually mentioning how the dentist is coming up in my best excited, high pitched voice. I didn't want to talk about it too much, but I didn't want him to be surprised.
Brady seemed upbeat about it, telling my mom, Caleb's mom, and my sister, that the dentist just cleans your teeth and makes your they are o.k.
I got a little nervous the day of the appointment, but tried not to let it show. I made sure Brady knew where we were going and made sure to say things like "big boys get to go to the dentist, daddy goes to the dentist, and it will be fun".
(Brady is really into being a big boy right now and not a baby.)
We got there and Brady did well while I filled out his paper work. The hygenist came to get us and Brady smiled at her, but grabbed my hand while we followed her back to the room.
He was a little hesitant to walk into the room at first, so I went in and he followed. She told him he could sit in the special chair today. I sat him in it, still a little unsure. She told me to pull my chair up close to his, I did. She explained the chair was special because it could move up and down. Then she asked Brady if he wanted to try it out. He did and he laughed. He listened intently as she explained each tool and their use. She let him touch and test out several of the utensils. She showed him her mask, glasses, and gloves. She asked Brady if he wanted to let her clean his teeth and by this point he had warmed up and said he did. He did everything she asked.
She listened to him talk and answered his sweet questions. For example, she asked if she could show him on his fingernail what the scraper thing feels like. He asked her if she was going to cut his fingernails, too. She assured him she would only work on his teeth.
She continued to ask permission and explain what she was doing. Brady even told her to not to forget to count the top teeth.
His teeth looked great. No problems or concerns at this time. He got to pick a toy out of the toy chest and got to pick a new tooth brush.
| He was suppose to be showing me his teeth and toy from the toy chest. Ha! |
I was so proud of him. Our dental office was so sweet with him and he behaved so well. I couldn't have dreamed it would go that well.
He goes back again right after the baby is born, so I am hoping he will do this well again.
For now, 1st dental appointment = success!
If you are having trouble believing me, I will let you hear it from my sister. This is the facebook post she left me after we called her to tell her how it went.
Love how he got on the phone and said, "The dentist." Long pause. "It was fun!" "I got a soothbrush. It's Diego."
See success.
No comments:
Post a Comment