Friday, February 3, 2012

Big Brother Love

Now that I am home all day and Caleb works really long hours, Caleb has pretty much taken over the bedtime routine. Occasionally, I still join in, but most nights it is just the boys. It is a sweet time for them and I feel like they need a few minutes without me each day. It also gives me a few minutes to myself before spending time with Caleb.

Before the bedtime routine begins, Brady comes to me to tell me good night and get a hug and kiss. Over the past week or so, Brady has added a kiss to my belly and the sweet words, "I love you, baby!"

It is so sweet. No one told him to do this. He just started on his own.


Since he has began doing it, he never forgets to do it. I often forget and am confused when he leans in to kiss my belly. Then I quickly remember what he is doing.


It melts my heart how much he adores this baby already. He hasn't seen the baby and I am not even sure how much he understands. He knows there is a baby in my belly and he loves it. That is all he needs to know. There is question, no concern, or doubt, just love.

Around the same time, he started adding the baby to his bedtime prayer. Although, I don't participate much in the bedtime routine each night, I do overhear his prayer and memory work each night. Again, no one told him to add the baby to his prayer. Caleb includes the health of me and the baby in his prayer, but has never specifically told Brady to pray for the baby.

The pure, simple love and excitement of a 3 year old is remarkable. It is infectious.

I am posting this so I can remember how excited and how much he loves this unborn baby. It is that simple. He loves our baby. period.

I may be digging this out when the kids are 13 and 16 and at each others throat. Ha! Hopefully he will always love our baby as much as he does right now.

No comments: