Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The most wonderful time of the year!!!

December is in full swing here at the Barrett household. We have sooo much going on this month. Despite the craziness of it all, I really do love it and am so thankful for all our friends and family for inviting us to spend time with so many of them!!

BUT, it does bring craziness! For example, today I went to work all day, did some Christmas shopping, baked 2 casseroles, got Brady to bed, wrapped gifts, and did some laundry and light cleaning! Whoo! Like I said I am thankful, but a little crazy!

This weekend, my sister is having a girls night cookie/ornament swap! It should be so fun, but I am not much of a cookie baker! Hello, break and bake!

The point of a cookie swap is to bake home-made cookies and share the cookies and recipes. Seeing as I am not much of a cookie baker, I decided last night to do a test run of my cookies.  I am all about planning and prevent unnecessary disasters, so I was pretty pleased with my brilliant plan.

I was in the midst of baking my cookies, when I noticed something about letting the dough sit overnight in the refrigerator in the recipe.

This should have been my sign!

I didn't have time for that, after all if these didn't turn out I was going to have to bake a new cookie the next day and I work during the day!  So I let the dough sit in the fridge for about an hour.

After finishing the first batch of cookies, my wonderful husband walks in and says, "are these supposed to look like hamburger patties and A1 sauce?"

NO!!!! The are definitely not!!!

Had this happened Saturday before the party, I would have cried!

A LOT!

This should have been my second sign!

He procedes to tell me he thought it was like at Halloween when I make food look like something.

Nice!

I reminded him it was no longer Halloween and told him I am never cooking for him again! Well, until I make my next batch of trial cookies, anyway!

Upon tasting the cookies, we both decided that the cookies tasted like biscuits with chocolate gravy on top.

Not bad, but not good for cookies!!!

Needless to say, I will be trying another recipe later this week!

If they don't work, I am making break-n-bake and shaping them into reindeer.

(No wonder my husband seriously thought they were supposed to look like hamburgers!)

Merry Christmas!!!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, Amber, I died laughing at this post. Try a few of these sites to find some cookie recipes: Our Best Bites, Annie's Eats, or Pioneer Woman. All the links are on my blog! Maybe you can find one that is easy to make and comes out perfectly! Good luck!

Lawrence Family said...

No pictures? Just make the cookie with peanut butter cups inside... those are always a hit! I havent told anyone to bring a recipe either... so i dont think we are doing that!