Saturday, January 23, 2010

Weekly Date Night!

Ha! What's that?
If only there was a way to incorporate a weekly date between 2 full time jobs, 1 child, church services 3 times per week, devotionals at least once a month, spending time with each set of grandparents and relatives, friends, grocery shopping, cleaning, birthday parties, swimming lessons, and anything else that fills our calender, I think our marriage would be better for it.

But where is there time?

And don't even start with the expense and the guilt that follows date nights. We try to occasionally(by occasionally I mean once every few months) have a night out for ourselves, only to come home feeling insanely guilty that we spent available time away from Brady and that we ate an overly priced meal and watched an extremely overly priced movie.
Money that could have been spent on groceries or diapers.

BUT we need time for our relationship without distractions. SO how do you fit it all in?

We have a solution! We think! We are starting to have weekly date nights.....



AT HOME!



What a marvelous idea! It just might work! Why didn't I think of this sooner?

 I read an article in a magazine at work the other day that talked about date nights at home. The couple challenged themselves to pick one night a week and put down the mop, broom, remote, computer mouse, or book and just focus on each other. They picked things they could do together at home once the kids were in bed for 6 weeks.

 I thought to myself, we could do that!

I approached Caleb with the idea and he loved it. We decided Friday nights would work best for us. Brady goes to bed by 8 and we usually are in bed by 10. So that gives us 2 full hours to have a date! We decided no t.v., internet, movies, or cleaning were allowed during this time.

We  had our first date last night and it went great. I will post later on the specifics. I am going to try and give a weekly update for the first 6 weeks, so you can be accountable to us and to give you ideas that you can try. We will see how it goes after that.

Challenge: one date per week
Location:   our house
Duration:   2 hours per date for 6 weeks
Cost:          $30 or less per date
                                

1 comment:

April said...

Interesting! Would love to hear more. each week...probably gonna link over here when you give more info. I too feel very strongly about date nights, but very guilty since we both work (leaving little family time) and are trying to be $$ conscience (you know, to adopt more)!!!