One of the most important roles we have as parents is to protect and comfort our children. We are their safety, we are their home. When Brady is scared, he wants his mom or dad. When we are there he is comforted and safe.
But...
How do you provide security to your child, if you yourself do not feel secure?
Well, that is exactly how I have felt over the past couple of weeks. You see our home was broken into a little over 2 weeks ago. Our home, on a quiet street full of houses, was broken into. We aren't exactly sure what time it happened. We think it was mid-day. We aren't sure how many broke in. We think it was a couple. We aren't sure how long they stayed. We think it was a matter of seconds. We aren't sure why they choose our house. We think it is because no one was home. We aren't sure why they didn't take more. We think they got scared. We don't know a lot, but we have a lot questions. Questions that are likely to never be answered.
They kicked in the back door, breaking the door frame. They didn't break anything else. They went through our drawers, cabinets, rooms, and closets. They moved our mattress and took 4 items we are aware of. My camera, a radio, a shotgun that was my husbands grandfathers which had been left to him, and a box of bullets.
We are so thankful that nothing more was taken, that no one was injured, nothing other than the door was damaged, and that we weren't home.
However, something was taken that I am not sure it will ever return. They took our security. They took the feeling that this is our safe place. Our place of rest and relaxation after a long day has been comprimised. I no longer feel as safe as I once did. I feel naked! I feel as though I will never really be able to come home without feeling the need to look over my shoulder. There has been a lack of peace in our home over the past few weeks. That is such a horrible thing to have to write. Your home should be filled with peace. It is where you rest, eat, stay warm and dry, relax, laugh, and so much more. We have fixed the door and done a few other things to try to bring a feeling of peace back into our home, but it has not fully returned. I am not sure it ever will completely. I know it can, will, and did happen to me.
I have avoided writing this post. It could be because I didn't believe it or didn't want to believe it. But it did happen and we are recovering. We are sleeping a little better and beginning to be less on edge at every noise. We have done a lot of praying for peace and comfort. We are thankful and blessed in so many ways!
2 comments:
Amber, I so feel for you and your family. This has been happening A LOT to houses all around ours, so I somewhat know how you feel. I jump everytime I hear the dog bark or a sounds outside. I hate to be at home by myself when Brandon is at meetings....it's scary. Around our community they are stealing mainly guns, luckily we don't have any! But, I'm like you, it's terrible to feel this way in a place where you should ultimately always feel is a place of peace. Praying for peace and comfort for you and yours.
I'm so sorry. That sense of security is so precious and vulnerable. Remember our ultimate security is in the Lord. May peace and comfort overflow your thoughts and feelings. Love you guys.
Post a Comment